St. Clair Township Crest
1155 Emily Street
Mooretown ON
N0N 1M0

Phone: (519) 867-2021

Office Hours
Monday to Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Heritage Corner (April, 2020)

Heritage Corner (April, 2020)

Moore Museum celebrates 45 years of community heritage preservation
by Museum Assistant Fiona Doherty

On a bright summer’s day in 1975, the then Minister of Culture and Recreation Robert Welch stood in front of Moore Museum with a broadhead axe in hand. With one swift movement he brought it down to cut through a thick nautical rope.
The breaking of this hawser marked the opening of Moore Museum in a fitting tribute to the local marine heritage that the museum would preserve over its next few decades. It was the culmination of the efforts of dozens of volunteers, council, and committee members finally paying off.
The idea for the museum was sparked by the suggestion of Roy Murray, a local process worker and antique enthusiast. Murray, concerned that local history was “being sold out of the township”, petitioned the council to form a committee that could organize and manage the process of opening a mu- seum. After much consideration, the committee decided to develop the museum on the site of the old SS#2 Moore School.
Charles Reilley had donated the land in 1867, stipulating it was to be used for the creation of the school as well as a jail- house. In a letter to the museum, Reilley’s grandson, Kenneth Yates, recalled his experiences attending the school. They in-

At the 1975 opening of the Moore Museum, Minis- ter of Culture and Recreation Robert Welch chops the ribbon at the opening ceremony, with Reeve Don Beaton, left, and Roy Murray holding the rib- bon. Gazette photo

cluded: throwing stones at the outhouse when his teacher was inside; storing his gum on the entrance wall as he arrived in the mornings; and filling a crock for water from the pump outside. He also remembered other nearby buildings; the Reilley cottage to the north of the school; the blacksmith shop his grandfather used; and the Congre- gational Church, which was then abandoned but still standing. Over the last 45 years, the property has grown to include many of these essential parts of a community, giving visitors an in-depth representation of what communi- ty life was like in the past.

Vendor registration forms available
The Moore Museum is now accepting ven- dor registrations for the annual Downriver Craft and Gift Sale on Sept. 20. Registration forms have gone out by email or by mail to the craftspersons on the mailing list. Poten- tial vendors who have not received their form should contact the Moore Museum at 519-867-2020. Registration forms are also available on the museum’s website at:

This glass isn’t as
tame as it looks
Right: A unique display of lovely glass presents an air of innocence even though it hides a sinister secret that can only be re- vealed with a special piece of equipment.
The secret is revealed at the Moore Museum.

Notice Bear Creek Cemetery Company

Bear Creek Cemetery has submitted by-laws to the Registrar of the Funeral, Burial, and Cremation Services Act, 2002. Any interested parties may contact Rus- sell Marsh at 519-331-1798 for information or to make copies. By-laws or amend- ments may be reviewed or copied at 3393 Telfer Road, Mooretown, Ontario.
These by-laws are subject to the approval of the Registrar, Funeral, Burial, and Cremation Services Act, 2002. Contact can be made by telephone to: Bereavement Authority of Ontario, 647-483-2645 or 1-844-493-6356.

Port Lambton 200th Anniversary Committee seeking photographs
The Port Lambton 200th Committee is seek- ing photographs and information that will help illuminate the area’s heritage. To donate, please email the Port Lambton 200th Anniver- sary Historical Committee at portlambtonhisto- or contact Kailyn at the Som- bra Museum,
In the early 1900s, the porch at Waddell General Store in Port Lambton’s business section presented a place for residents to meet and exchange the latest community news. Sombra Museum photo

Timely exhibit at Moore Museum
Moore Museum volunteer Dave Pattenden shows off part of the new vintage clock and clockworks exhibit set to debut when the museum opens its doors later this year. The “banjo clocks” get their name from their shape and all have American eagles perched on top. The exhibit boasts about 32 donated clocks, some of which have been cleaned and/or repaired for the show. Some have been refurbished as well to restore their original but only a few are kept running. Mr. Pattenden says they all have to be wound with a key, making it a time consuming chore to try to keep all of them running at once. Stevenson photo